Nature Birthday Parties
Add a whole new level of fun to your child’s next birthday party by having a nature-themed program at Sparks Park – home of the Prairie Ecology Bus Center! There are many themes to choose from listed below.
The birthday parties last for two hours. The first hour of the party includes themed nature activities led by a PEBC naturalist. The second hour is when your group can play games, eat cake and ice cream, open presents, etc. Please note the PEBC does not provide decorations, treats, or entertainment during the second hour of the party. Birthdays parties at the PEBC are appropriate for children 5 years and older unless noted otherwise.
- Animal Tracks & Signs* Hike Sparks Park in search of animal homes, tracks, scat, and more.
- Big Foot Birthday (ages 7-12) Snow conditions permitting, hike over hill and dale to explore the winter wonderland with big snowshoe feet. Snowshoe rental is an additional $1 per person. (Winter)
- CSI (ages 7-12) Super-sleuth your way through a mystery and unravel the clues to find out “Who Done It?”
- Grossology* Learn about the super gross – but super cool- things like blood, slime, scat, maggots, skunk smell and more!
- Insect Safari. We will explore the prairie and woods using nets and hike around Sparks Park to find some of Minnesota’s smallest residents. (Summer)
- Mad Scientist Experiment with polymers through wacky activities and hands-on fun!
- Minnesota Wildlife Learn about your wild, furry neighbors. Play a scrambled animals game using animal artifacts.
- Nature Explorers Explore Sparks Park while searching for a variety of nature’s treasures. (3-8 yrs)
- Orienteering/GPS (ages 7-12) Learn the basics of wayfinding and try your skills on a scavenger hunt in Sparks Park. (Summer)
- Owl Detectives* Explore owl artifacts, learn if owls turn their heads all around, how they catch food in the dark & more!
- Wilderness Skills (9 yrs and older) Learn how to build shelters and fires for survival situations. Bring hotdogs to roast over the fire for lunch.
Birthday parties can be held:
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. or
1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Reservations should be made a minimum of two weeks before the desired date of your party.
Fees (For maximum of 15 children):
$65 PEBC Members
The member rate applies to families with a current $30 annual family membership. Party programs listed with an (*) after the name have additional add-ons available for a small fee/child. Add-ons are generally a craft that each child can make to take home. Call for more information on what the add-on options are.
For more information download pdf brochure
(need Acrobat Reader to open document-- download here: It's Free!)